Saturday 28 July 2012

A Theory that happens to fit the Facts!

Yesterday I posted a blog hypothesising about a large gap in Luka Magnotta's career and internet activities, although I conceded I lacked the evidence to back up my thinking.

Well, what a difference a day can make!

After writing my blog posting I was researching some background history for my Timeline pages when I happened across this excellent blogspot.  Much of the information referenced in this blog I was already aware of, however my interest was pricked by a long list of articles written by Luka Magnotta in June/July 2009 on a journal website called www.estrip.org.

This was the first time I had heard of estrip.org, but visiting the site and finding some 44 lengthy articles written by Luka Magnotta between 23rd June 2009-1st July 2009 has been a revelation!

In the space of just a week Luka Magnotta wrote these 44 journal entries about a wide range of topics, including four detailed entries about his difficult personal relationship with a guy of middle-eastern appearance whom he calls 'Mike' and describes as his boyfriend.

I'm sure each of these journals is insightful in itself, although I have to confess that I have not read the majority of them right through as of yet.  But if one considers the proliferation of journal entries written in such a short timeframe it does strongly indicate a hyperactive thought process, i.e. manic thinking!

Manic episodes or cycles, commonly referred to as "mania", is a primary feature of Bi-Polar disorder but also Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), whereby a sufferer manifests an intense disturbance in their mental state arising in over-active thought processes and compulsive behaviours.

It is my hypothesis that Luka Magnotta's writings in these journal pages are indicative that he was experiencing a manic episode associated with BPD, because underlying much of what he has written about is an intense disturbance in his sense of self-image and self-identity; rather than strictly relating to a disturbance in mood more commonly associated with Bi-Polar.
  
Such episodes of mania can last days, weeks or even months at a time, during which time a person can become highly unstable and at high risk of engaging in dangerous, harmful behaviours either towards themselves (i.e. self-harming) or other people.

If Luka was in the midst of a manic episode when he wrote these articles then I believe it would be a reasonable assumption that at some point after writing these journals he experienced a crisis in his mental health condition, as a result of which he may have required some from of psychiatric care and treatment which limited his activities online for a period for time.

As for what caused Luka to get in such a state of mind, I believe you only have to look at what is known of his activities around this time to understand the pressures and stress factors he would have been experiencing.  

I think it is highly probable that the hate campaign against him on YouTube over his comments on Family Guy is a significant factor.

I have put together a PDF Document individually cataloguing the 44 journal entries, with a link to each of the journal postings on estrip.org

No comments:

Post a Comment